Thursday, December 8, 2011

What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? Because...I HATE AN EFFING TARANTULA!!!!!

One of the coolest thing about going to different places is that you get to try all sorts of weird arse food.  So far, on this trip, I have been kinda tame.  I think the weirdest thing I have tried has been a crocodile burger, which was average in my opinion.  But last night, while dining at a restaurant as part of the "Friends" organisation, I got offered tarantula!

The Friends organisation is a group of 3 food outlets (two restaurants and a cafe) in Phnom Penh which trains up orphans and street kids into the hospitality industry, so they don't have to rely on hocking books or begging to make a living. The restaurants act as training grounds, but the food is of excellent quality, if expensive, and they money all goes back into training kids.  It is a really good cause and if you want to know more about them you can learn more about them here.

Before Friends, I spent half the day at a War Crimes court for the Khmer Rouge regime, where brother number two, second to Pol Pot (Brother number one) and three other senior Khmer Rouge leaders are being tried.  It was really interesting and I will write on it tomorrow hopefully.  I am in transit and going a little remote, so I may not have access to wifi for a week or so.

Anyway, back to the restaurant. I was at my table, happy in my spider free bliss, when a girl at the table next to us offered me a spare Tarantula they had which was going begging.  Who was I to say no? That would be just rude!!  So I jumped at the opportunity and below is the impromptu video taken by Tash on her mother's iPhone. It was dark so I apologise about the quality.  But rest assured, I am now man. Man who invented the wheel and is made of braun. Man who sailed ships made of wood and had muscles stronger than steel!!  I ate a mother effing tarantula and didn't cry like a five year old girl who stubbed her toe! I. Am. Legend!!  :)



So, my question for today is, what is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?  Below is a video of the  weirdest food I have ever seen! While I haven't eaten it, I thought this made made a good addition to this post!



Comment or post on FB, what is the weirdest thing you have eaten?

Until tomorrow, hopefully!

Daniel

Follow me on twitter @TheDanFactor



No comments:

Post a Comment